Tuesday, September 8, 2015

First week of practice and Fan Clothing Orders

FIRST WEEK OF PRACTICE RECAP

I can't help but feel predictable in my inconsistent writing frequency.  I'd meant to check in after our first practice of the fall last week, and then the second and the third and so on.  Then, I thought, oh I need some photos of the team but all of us were so engaged in what we were doing on court I just didn't get as many as I'd like, but what I have is here.

Lori serving at practice
This leads to the two things I would say about this years team: First, the engagement of everyone, from the returners, to all the new players, Maddy as a coach and even Katrina rehabbing her knee - everyone is right there from the start to finish of every day which is making it so much fun.  Secondly, there is an intense drive to get better each day.  People worked hard over the summer which showed when we ran the mile and the beep test.  It was also evident on court as the level of play is phenomenal.

So, now that it is week two, we're settling into a nice rhythm and making the most of each day together in this short fall season.

Our only scheduled competition is the fall USTA/ITA regional hosted by Willamette in Salem Sep 17-20th.  I won't know until a few days before but everyone will play singles and we'll have 4 doubles teams.   Matches start Friday morning, go all day Friday and Saturday with the tournament finishing Sunday afternoon.  I'm excited some of you will come, if you'll be there and haven't been in touch, let me know we can't wait to see you and you'll be in for some exciting tennis!

I'll send more details when they are finalized.

The beautiful Whitman Courts with some awesome singles going on.


PART 2!!   FAN CLOTHING ORDERS

I'll be putting in t shirt, hat and visor orders, so email me heinj@whitman.edu if you'd like to order one, most will have to be made so if we get orders by 9/20 then we should have them in October.

We'll have "WHITMAN TENNIS"  T shirts in Navy, Yellow or White ($15)  and Nike Drifit hats and visors in Navy or White ($25) 

If you have ideas of fan gear you'd like us to make for you - let me know!

Best,
Coach John


Here's some pics of the team at Walla Walla Food truck night!